For now...and for the Future
borrowed from Carlee Padot. Thanks for the great tips!
1. Start using reusable shopping bags. Find the right styles and designs to suit your taste and lifestyle.
2. Refuse a bag. Cashiers are programmed to keep the line moving and don't always stop to think or bother to ask if you need a bag. If you don't need one, don't take a one (ESPECIALLY IF WHAT YOU ARE BUYING WILL FIT IN YOUR HAND - MY TIP, IF YOU CARRIED IT TO THE CASHIER WITHOUT A BAG, YOU CAN CARRY IT TO YOUR CAR WITHOUT ONE.)
3. Reuse plastic bags you have accumulated as garbage liners.
4. Start using Ultra Compact bags. We love these since people tend to forget their bags when they go shopping- Ultra Compact bags are small enough to stash in your purse, jacket, backpack, car, etc. so one is always handy.
5. Get stores to offer cash credits if you bring in your own bags.
6. Open your eyes to how many bags you consume: keep count. For instance, if you have a giant plastic bag holding plastic bags in your closet, take 5 minutes and count how many you have. OR, count how many plastic and paper bags you go through in a week.
7. Spread the word to wake up others.
8. Cut down on plastic produce bags by bringing your own reusable produce bags.
Maybe you aren't ready to do all of these-but think about what change you can make today to give us all a better tomorrow.