Wednesday, February 25, 2009
DF DAY ONE
Well today I officially started the Daniel Fast. Since I had to work through breakfast and lunch today, I was hungry as usual when I work that kind of shift because I never remember to bring enough food to fill me up during that time. Oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts for breakfast, a grapefruit, grapes and carrots for lunch, and then we ate stir fry with brown rice and veggies for dinner. We just came back from a WINCO trip with our friends Matt and Jessica and bought soy milk, beans, lentils, fruit leather, nuts and dried fruit. It is great to have some fabulous snack food in the house that we can eat now. Tomorrow we are planning on having Vegetarian Chili for dinner-using this general recipe (how do you spell that word anyways? recipie? recipee? receppppeee??)
Crock pot on low for 4 hours. I kind of tweak it each time I make it, but I always LOVE how it turns out!
I'm really excited to do these food sacrifices for the Lord during this time and hope to draw nearer and nearer to Him!
Monday, February 23, 2009
My Mom's New Favorite Show
About a month ago, just before dinner, Jared and I were watching cash cab the "gameshow right here in my taxi". My mom caught a glance of it and didn't think it sounded too exciting, until she saw people get into the cab and become startled when Ben Bailey turns on the lights inside and tells people they are on his gameshow. Then everytime she would ask "did they jump? what was their reaction?"
Thus, it turned into everytime she sees it is on tv, she is completely hooked and yells at the tv "SHOUT OUT! USE YOUR SHOUT OUT!". And of course my mother, who is one of the last people in the world to ever take a huge risk always tells the contestants to "TAKE THE MONEY!" at the end and not to risk it on double or nothing. She even comes up with questions she thinks Ben Bailey should ask...although I should let you know they all have to do with "I Love Lucy".
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Preparing for Daniel
This will be the 3rd year in a row that Jared and I will be experiencing the "Daniel Fast" for a portion of lent. It is called the "Daniel Fast" after what Daniel from the Bible did “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.” Daniel 10:2, 3
Each year we have done the fast, we have been in community while doing it, which has made it much easier and even kind of fun. This year, I decided to push myself a little more, and am going to be doing the fast for 4 weeks instead of three. I think this year will be easier for me for a few reasons:
1) I know what to expect
2) I have found plenty of really good recipies (the first year we did the daniel fast we basically just cooked up veggies...that was really interesting)
3) I am already eating an almost vegetarian diet as is.
We have really enjoyed this challenging fast and we look forward to doing it again starting nexy Wednesday! Here is how it works for anyone who may be interested. I will be posting recipies throughout the time as well to help boost creativity!
Foods to include in your diet during the Daniel Fast:
All whole grains, including but not limited to whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes and popcorn.
All nuts and seeds, including but not limited to sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, sesame. Also nut butters including peanut butter.
All legumes. Legumes include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, white beans.
All quality oils including but not limited to olive, canola, grape seed, peanut, and sesame.
Beverages: spring water, distilled water or other pure waters, caffine free teas
Other: tofu, soy products, vinegar, seasonings, salt, herbs and spices.
Foods to avoid on the Daniel Fast
All meat and animal products
All dairy products
All leavened bread
All refined and processed food products
All deep fried foods
All solid fats
Beverages including but not limited to coffee, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol.
Saturday, February 7, 2009
Monday, February 2, 2009
25 things about me: from my Facebook account (the newest craze)
1. I basically ONLY by items if they are on sale. Clothing, food, etc.
2. I drink less coffee now that I work at Starbucks then I did before hand
3. In the last few years I become a VERY health conscious eater-lots of fruits and veggies-no dark meat
4. I love to wear gym shorts and a t-shirt regardless of how cold it is outside-I just need a nice heavy blanket on top of me too:)
5. I am anti-television and yet I find myself obsessed with LOST and the dog whisperer
6. I love serving. I developed this while in college, and I pray I never get over it.
7. I love taking good pictures but don't have the eye for it--I sure wish I did!
8. I have dual citizenship still, and will always be Canadian and American.
9. Celine Dion's cousin was my french teacher in Elementary School.
10. I LOVE snow! Many people get sick of it, but I just can't get enough!
11. I have never been excellent at any particular sport and it's always bothered me. I'm just "kind of good" at several different sports.
12. I am very sentimental. I still have birthday cards from elementary school
13. I wish I could travel the world training other worship teams.
14. I love researching the best deals on vacation stuff, hotels etc. I LOVE finding an amazing deal!
15. I will be doing the daniel fast for the 3rd year in a row---sooo excited!
16. I wake up at 3:30 in the morning for work several days a week. yuck.
17. I love to travel, especially with Jared. Love love love it!
18. I was in the Miss Azusa pagaent and won-and then went to Miss California and didn't win.
19. I really enjoy being with Jr. and Sr. High kids and don't understand how some people can't stand it.
20. I am not very patient. Jared is very patient. I think God wants me to learn and thing or two from him.
21. All Dressed Chips are the best ever.
22. Today I watched Yours Mine and Ours and actually thought it would be fun to have 17 children. I am weird.
23. I love to be surprised-in a good way though.
24. When we first got married, I used to wake up early and make Jared a big breakfast...I did today for the first time in a loooong time.
25. We can't wait to adopt at least one child someday!